A grainy snack life is worth a good heart.
Granola is a breakfast cereal or snack made from rolled oats, nuts, honey or other sweeteners such as brown sugar, that is usually baked while until it is toasted, crunchy and golden brown. During the baking process, the mixture is stirred to maintain a loose breakfast cereal consistency.
Health Benefits of Granola
1. Boosted energy levels: it has a concentrated form of energy and gives you the energy you need without any ‘crash’ or sluggish-ness that comes from sugar meals
2. Weight loss: it is a light yet a filling food with many benefits. It is low in cholesterol and sodium and high in fibre so it bulks up when it absorbs water therefore making the body feel full and reducing appetite and help prevent overeating
3. Great Source of Vitamin E: this is an amazing source of vitamin E that is great for silky, strong hair and soft, glowing skin, healthy nails and protection from sunburn
4. Improves Digestion: granola is a mix of both soluble and insoluble fibres, making it extremely helpful to the entire digestive process. Insoluble fibre passes undigested through the tract and adds bulk to the stool, making it much easier to pass; whereas soluble fibre acts as nutrition for the pro-biotic bacteria living in our gut.
500 gm oats
50gm desiccated coconut
5 tbs honey
2 tsp cinnamon
0.5 tsp cardamom
1.5 tbs chia seed
1.5 tbs ground flaxseed (golden or regular)
• Preheat oven to 275 degrees C.
• Mix the oats, coconut, honey, cardamom, cinnamon and
nuts and place in a baking tin
• Bake in the oven while stirring occasionally until golden brown (approx. 30 min).
• Once ready, allow to cool completely on the counter
• Once cool stir in sultanas, chia seed and flaxseed.
• Store in an air tight container and it should keep for up to three months
NB: You can also cook the granola on low heat on the cooker top in a heavy pan if you don’t have an oven.
Serve with milk, yogurt or sour milk, fresh fruit, chocolate chips, nuts or dried fruits (raisins, sultanas, dried mango)
What's Your Reaction?
A Kenyan visual scribe, storyteller using words and images to connect all aspects of life. She powers from faith to food, health, nature in ways that encourage viewers and readers to find balance in life through its connectivity. PASSION FOR THE ART Passionate about telling HIStory of hope, love and family.